Be prepared to file your City of Tiffin income tax return

By Linda Neeley, Tax Commissioner

Spring is almost here, and that means the deadline to file your 2021 tax return is right around the corner.

As you are filing your state and federal tax returns, don’t forget that you also will need to file with the City of Tiffin by April 18. Your income tax dollars are what funds vital services at the City, including infrastructure improvements, parks programs, firefighters and police personnel.

Starting in 2021, the Income Tax Department began offering the option for residents to file their tax return online. This service, provided with our partners at Municipal Income Tax Solutions LLC is offered as a convenience to taxpayers. Additionally, taxpayers may access the online payment system on the City of Tiffin website if they owe on their taxes. Both of these services can be found at by going to the Income Tax Department page.

As you prepare to file, here are a few tips and reminders:

  • Who must file? All residents age 18 and older and all entities or individuals doing business within Tiffin must file a tax return. In January, taxpayers should have received a turquoise postcard in the mail. If you have received this postcard, you have an active account with the City of Tiffin and must file a tax return. If you do not have any taxable income, please file an individual exemption form available in our office or on our website.
  • How do I file? You may file using our new E-file program or you may file a paper return and mail or drop off the prepared return at the City of Tiffin Income Tax Department, 53 E. Market St. Please note that City returns prepared using an online program for your Federal and State returns are not forwarded to our office.
  • Where do I get a form? Blank forms are available at the City of Tiffin Income Tax Department, 53 E. Market St.; Tiffin Post Office 175 S. Monroe St.; and Tiffin-Seneca Public Library, 77 Jefferson St. Forms and additional filing information may be downloaded at
  • What must I include? All W-2s, W2Gs, 1099NECs, 1099MISCs, and a copy of your Federal 1040 including Schedule 1, C, E, and F if applicable.
  • Where can I get help with my return? The tax office no longer offers in person assistance preparing tax returns, however if you have questions regarding filing your return, you may call the tax office at (419) 448-5405 for assistance weekdays from 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
  • What if I owe? Payment is due by April 18 or at the time you file your return. If not paid by the due date, a late payment penalty of 15 percent plus interest will be charged. Payment forms accepted are cash, check or credit card (fee charged). You may also pay online by credit card (fee charged) or e-check using E-pay.
  • A reminder, that estimated tax payments are required if you have income on which tax is not withheld, and the amount you expect to owe for 2022 is more than $200. An underpayment penalty of 15 percent plus interest will be applied to any underpayment of estimated tax.

If you have any additional questions, please contact our office at or call (419) 448-5405.