(Tiffin, Ohio) The Tiffin Fire/ Rescue Division (TFRD) would like to announce the improvement of our Public Protection Classification rating. The TFRD recently went through a review with the Insurance Services Office (ISO) in order to review and update the fire division’s applicable classification rating. The TFRD is proud to announce we have been awarded an ISO Class rating of 3. The TFRD was previously an ISO Class 4.
The classification system is designed to provide an objective countrywide standard that helps fire departments budget and plan for equipment, training and facilities. The Public Protection Classification system includes 10 classifications, an ISO Class 1 represents an exemplary fire suppression program, and Class 10 indicates that the area’s fire suppression program does not meet the ISO’s minimum criteria.
A community PPC rating is dependent upon:
- Needed Fire Flows (the amount of water necessary for fire suppression)
- Emergency Communications (dispatching)
- Fire Department (equipment, staffing, training, geographic distribution of fire companies, operational considerations and community risk reduction)
- Water Supply (inspection and flow-testing of hydrants, alternative water supply operations and careful evaluation of the amount of available water compared with the amount needed to suppress fires up to 3,500 gallons per minute)
With the award of the new classification it places the TFRD among the top 10% of the nation’s 44,672 fire departments and top 12% of the 2473 fire departments serving the State of Ohio.
The report is comprised of 3 sections:
1) Emergency communications account for 10% of the classification
2) Water supply system – 40% of the classification
3) Fire department – 50% of the total classification
The ISO’s Public Protection Classification program plays a central role in the insurance industry across the nation. Underwriters’ use PPC data for marketing, underwriting and as an aide to establish fair premiums to both personal as well as and commercial property insurance.
Kevin S. Veletean